Thursday, July 27, 2006

Good to be home



Well last Thursday the camper got all packed up and I mean I packed every inch possible with a week worth of stuff.

Woke up early Friday morning and we were on the road to Phillips, it was a eventless 5 hour drive north plus a few pee breaks and a subway stop for the littles in the back. We found a nice spot at the Price Co fair grounds and set up camp. Later we went down to the beach and relaxed away the 5 hour drive out of my back. Went back to camp made supper and then went on a course pre ride. About 3 miles in I seen some trail workers. They asked me if I just seen that bear run by , I replied, no. They said it just ran right behind me before entering the woods. Glad I didn't hit that thing riding.

Woke up Saturday at 5 am when they were unloading more porta pottys, they get things done early way up north. Took the kids for a walk along the lake and caught a bunch of frogs. Shelly went for a pre ride and she hated it of course, seems these courses are kind of hard. I gave her a good piece of advice and she registered anyways. I went out for another lap with Kris and Bill. This lap was more about attacking and passing then go fast and it payed off. Later Matt and Sherri showed up sao the team was all together.

Well Sunday was race day and I slept great and woke up feeling good about the day. The legs were responding well to attacks on the road during the pre ride. Shelly's race was off and she had a OK start we will have to work on that. I did catch a glimpse of her as my wave started. I sat in about 5 or 6th spot on the lead out planning on attacking the 2nd hill. Well that didn't happen. We hit the first hill I attacked and had a 100 yard gap on the first hill. I didn't shut it down until I climbed the really loose rocky uphill that takes you into the woods. I knew must riders walk the hill so it was important to get there early. I rode the hill and hammered up the next hill. I was right the next guy didn't make it and slowed the whole group down. I had a good race going, during the second lap I was told I had almost a 2 minute lead on the next guy. I lost a bunch of that when I ran into the emergency helps 4 wheeler. My foot hit the front tire and launched me into the trees. I got up ran the next couple of sections and hoped back on for the big grass climb. I reached down and found I lost my waterbottle. not good. I need to thank Mrs Nigh for the waterbottle hand up. Well I end up 1st in my age and shelly was 4th. Time to pack up and head over to Lake Wisstota

So it is Monday And I am not at work, this is great. We went into town to see the Irvine Park zoo and park then the Brewery tour. The park was great for a small city park. They had elk, WT deer, bears, bison and a bunch of smaller mammals. The Leinenkugels tour was fun as well, with free beer at the end. Well, Monday afternoon it started raining so we went and seen Monster house, a kids movie, it was pretty good. We came out of the movie and it was still raining hard. Let run to Eau Claire for supper. During the 20 mile drive Eau Claire received the heaviest rain fall record in one hour, 5.5 inch in 1 hour. The streets on 53 right in town were all 1 foot or so under water. Cars were stranded everywhere and cops had roads closed all over. We made it to Applebees to eat. It help there business that they were on a hill and still had power. The whole mall and southside of town where out of power.

Well Tuesday morning and it appears the camper stayed dry throught all 8 inches of water that fell that day. Well the plans for the day are to walk around Chippawa Falls, do some laundry and eat some ice cream. Did it all even found the library and did some reading with the kids. Guess what ended up at the beach again before diner. Then 11pm woke up to rain again. So another 3 inches of rain Tuesday night.

Woke up Wednesday, things still all dry, way to go little camper, after 10+ inches of rain in two days and still dry as a bone. Time for breakfast and start packing up for the trip home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home