Monday, October 23, 2006

Last trip to the farm

This Sunday I went to the farm for the last time. Let me explain. My grandparents lived on a old farmstead in Franklin for 50 years. I never remember it being a farm. When I was born the farming was done. To me it was a bmx course and two different motocross tracks two ponds for swimming huge tree forts and just a ton of land for screwing around. I shot my first deer bowhunting there, ran a small trap line. Learned to use the animal that were on the land. This was years before Franklin had ifs first subdivision of mansions. It also turned out to be a great place to have 400 or so high schoolers over a graduation party. I spent many many weeks each summer over there cutting grass and helping my grandma and countless hours racing around the moto tracks. I would bet I have ridden over a thousand miles on those tracks since I was 5 years old. Sitting there Sunday it became very clear it will soon all be gone and the city of Franklin will have a few more 4300 square feet or large homes in there tax base. There would be no more holiday dinners with the adults at one table the the grandkids at another. There would be not more strawberry fields. No more roar of the cycles charging over the plateau in to the triples and back along the driveway into the woop section. I did however take out the cornerpost from the stairwell for memories. I am sure every mark on the 120 year old post has a story. I could not let that be knock down with everything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home