Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Race 2 a dnf and race 3 was O'tay

Well we made that trip all the way up to Cable, 355 miles and 6 hours to race in the most horrible conditions ever. Well how is pouring rain and a temp with wind chills at 26 degrees. Yep I was thinking this will by awesome, if I can keep the rubber side down. Well about 6 miles into the race a buddy John was right in front of me, he started to slide and I went to my left to get around him. It looked like a clear line. I was a wrong, a small tree hit me square in the knee cap and stopped me. I jumped off ran a few feet and jumped back on. About 4 miles later the knee was going no further race was over. So I spent six hours in the car on the ride home that night with a very swelled up knee and a limp. Fast forward one week, no riding what so ever for the whole week attempting to rest the knee. I went and did the pre ride saturday and the knee kicked back on any hard climb, so I was thinking sunday was going to hurt. I woke up sunday and mentally I was set to fight for a top ten in my age group nothing more, even less would have been fine. So now it 11:00 and I am getting ready for the start still ok with a so so finish as long as I finish. Now it is 11:30 the first age group is in the start shoot and I panic. I can see there are a ton of day of race numbers in the crowd of riders. Now my brain is working hard spiking my heart rate, not good. I completely changed my plan. Now I was going to attack from the start and hope to out climb the slower day of pack three minutes in front of us. Well it worked I went into the woods in second place in my age. I held that spot until the third and last lap. I hit a root bad and bounced into some trees. One rider got around and away. For the next mile the guy who ended up third and myself changed place 5 or 6 times. It was a great race 4 th in my age and 15 overall. I wish I could say taking the week off help me but it was a fluke, but I will take it
Kenny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home