Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sand hole to shore of sand or O2S 2006

I feel sorry for all the farmers in the UP, it was drier then a popcorn fart up there. The motel owner told us they are more then 8 inches below rain fall this summer. We seen a lake that all the piers were out of the water. So yes it was going to be dusty, right. Well that was a understatement. About 8 miles in I had to lose the glasses. The sweat and dust made a nice smear on the lens so I took them off, big mistake. My eye had more red saturday night than white. Then about 25 miles in, the bad right leg was back from the week before. I pedaled through the cramp for the next 20 miles. I had to walk every hill for the last10 miles. It was so pathetic, I was averaging 18 mph at 25 mile mark before the craps started and my overall was 13 mph and 3:29 for 48 miles. After the race I walked across the street and jumped in Lake Superior, wow that was cold. I dove in and both hammies cramped, but in 60 degree water the cramps go away fast. After ten minutes in the cold clean water I felt fine. Only if evert race ended at a super clean beach. Of coarse Shelly was waiting after completing the soft rock 28 miles race. She had a very respectable time considering she never even rode 20 miles off road. She did have one mishap, a crash into some thorny ash. So she has some puncture wounds in her arms that bruised very nicely. She did say it was a great time and a big boost in her riding abilities to do much shorter wors races. After getting home you realize there is a red crust on everything for the granite dust of the roads. Well one month to the 40, time to get the leg fixed and some big long rides in at the kettle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home