Monday, May 19, 2008

1st win of the year - early


Yep I had my 1st age group win of the year at Geneva. I am going to chock about 80% of it up to luck. Lucky after the first lap I hit the slower riders in the open sections and could motor past them and keep a high pace in the big ring in the singletrack. I was lucky to have the 50 -54 winner in front of me for the first two laps to focus and chase. Thank you Ron K. I did make a huge mistake on lap 2 and tried to stay with him on the broken rake climb and it sent the leg into spasms. I coasted through the next section and went down to the granny for the start of lap three. I will confess I have not spent that much time in granny for that long in years. Then on lap 3 I was felling good about a 2nd or 3rd place finish. Then as I turned into the flat to stairway I took all 5 shoots of hammergel and some water. At the hill climb into the rock garden I seen Jeff 15 feet ahead I started thinking about how long to be his shadow and were to attck him. Bad luck happened as he dropped down into the wash out after the rock garden it looked like he locked up the rear tire and he was going down. He said he was ok as I went but his jersey was tore up. I seen a glimpse of Bubba so I dropped the hammer and made it hurt. I was also lucky that Bubba was running Ringle scewers and I had Salsa's. Props to Bubba for passing a whole lot of riders to get back on the boxes. Man watch out in 2 weeks at Warsaw the fat guys will be flying out there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hauser said...

Game on for Wausau, missed racing this weekend but ready to rock for the Big Ring! See you there,

Hauser

10:44 AM  
Blogger bmxmtbfam said...

It will be fun, I hope I can build some fitness before then. This weekend is looking good for some big miles out the the kettles. It should have been bubbas race but I had all the luck

12:26 PM  
Blogger bubba said...

Sorry for blowing off the awards......I'm really not a "stand-off-ish prick", but I was taking pictures at the rock garden.

Oh...My skewers were Salsa's as well, but I have come to find out they need to be maintained (lubed) to stay put.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home